Are you beginning to feel disappointed or even frustrated with your physical therapist? Are you not getting the results, or the care, that you were expecting? Then it might be time to switch therapists to someone who can help you with your chronic pain management.
Bethesda Physiocare, located in Bethesda, is the area’s leading physical therapy clinic. We provide various services for chronic pain management and can make sure you’re properly taken care of. If you’re interested in hearing what we can offer, give our clinic a call at (301) 656-5613 or contact us online today.
Signs It’s Time to Move On
When you go to physical therapy, you expect to be cared for by a compassionate professional who will assist you with your personalized goals. When you don’t get the treatment you deserve, it can be frustrating and in some cases delay progress. Research has shown that therapeutic alliance between a patient and their Bethesda physical therapist is the most important variable for predicting positive outcomes. Therefore, it is important for patients to have a strong rapport with their treating therapist. Signs of a poor therapeutic alliance may include any of the following:
- They Treat You Like You’re Just Another Job Task- When your therapist considers you as another slot on their schedule and not an actual patient. If it also seems like they care more about your insurance and how you’re paying rather than how you would like to manage your chronic pain, then it might be time to switch.
- You Do Not See Any Progress- Although progress is not always linear, there should be realistic goals and milestones set between the patient and physical therapist. Both short-term and long-term markers of progress are important components of chronic pain management.
- They Won’t Change the Treatment- If you’re not seeing progress, your therapist should adjust the treatment plan. If they continue doing the same non-progressive treatments, then they’re doing a disservice to you.
- Doesn’t Listen to Your Questions or Concerns- Your therapist needs to be on the same page as you when it comes to your concerns and end goal. If they keep pushing you off and only do the treatments they feel are necessary, then they’re not in it to truly help you.
- They’re Not Focused on Your Goal- Not only is PT supposed to help you alleviate your chronic pain, but it’s also supposed to help you get back to where you were before. Your therapist needs to help you through your pain and help you get back to doing the things you love.
- They Only Use Passive Treatments- If your chronic pain management only consists of ice, heat, stim, or traction, then your physical therapist is not doing all that they can to help you.
- They Pass You Around to Other Staff Members- Unfortunately, a common occurrence in some practices is that therapists will schedule clients every 10-15 minutes. Because of this, your therapist only spends a few minutes with you rather than the 45-60 minutes they should be spending with you.
A Therapy Clinic That Works With You
Bethesda Physiocare, located in Bethesda, MD, offers a wide range of services, including chronic pain management, dry needling, fascial therapy, and therapeutics, amongst many more. To schedule an appointment with one of our compassionate and goal-driven therapists, give us a call or contact us online today.